Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Eating in the Lab

I for one am opposed to a work space where one cannot enjoy both food and work. Our lab is a radioactive zone, and thus, cannot have food in it. Is there active radiation traveling through the air in our lab all the time? Absolutely not, there is nothing to be afraid of. However, when people are actively performing experiments, contamination of food stuffs is plausible. For this reason, the radiation safety departments have determined over the years that consuming food that has the potential for radioactive exposure is just not a good idea!

So, why post about this? Because our work stations are in the radioactive laboratory! If it isn't safe for food to be in the lab, what makes it safe for us? My desk is right next to the radioactive workspace! Shouldn't the radiation safety committees also disallowed personal work stations in radioactive zones also? Now, having been trained to be qualified to use the radioactive substances we need to use in our lab, I understand that the danger to us is close to zero. What I really want, is a personal work space provided to me that I can eat lunch at, or have a drink at, while I am hard at work! Lacking this, I have found myself being gossiped about upon finding a suitable space to both work and eat at the same time.

Doesn't seem like much, and maybe it shouldn't matter, but being able to use my time as I see fit is important to me, and I shouldn't have to worry about being slandered by people for doing so. After all, we do live in America, right?

1 comment:

  1. As someone who also enjoys having a snack or drink at my desk, I totally agree with your post. If there really is radiation floating around in the air of the lab (as if it's really different from normal air, come on) then what difference does it make if I'm breathing it or drinking it? If anything, I'd rather be contaminating my digestive tract than my bloodstream via the lungs. Regardless, the danger is so low, it seems silly to act so extreme about a risk so small.

    ReplyDelete